Physical Education Curriculum at Mount Stewart
At the Mount Stewart Federation, we prioritise physical education (PE) as a fundamental aspect of a child's educational and personal development, fostering long-term health and well-being. Our comprehensive PE curriculum, deeply rooted in the school's 7R's ethos, aims to provide high-quality, inclusive experiences in physical activities, promoting active participation, competition, and a pursuit of excellence. Emphasising the importance of teamwork, determination, resilience, and self-esteem, our program integrates curriculum lessons, daily physical activities, and school sports, including interschool competitions, to offer a well-rounded, engaging, and supportive environment for every student's growth and development.
Approach and Planning: At Mount Stewart, the Physical Education (PE) curriculum is meticulously crafted to foster the mastering of core skills, nurturing children's physical, social, and emotional wellbeing. This comprehensive program intertwines a variety of sports and physical activities tailored to accommodate the diverse needs and interests of our students, promoting their growth as creative collaborators and aware citizens in our world.
Teaching Strategies: Our curriculum is delivered through a synergy of high-quality, bespoke PE lessons in collaboration with Challenge Sport & Education (CSE). This approach blends expertly guided teacher-led sessions with specialist-led interactions, ensuring a well-rounded and rich learning experience that aligns with the 7R’s learning behaviours.
Curriculum Intent: The central tenet of our curriculum is to kindle a lifelong passion for sports and physical activities. We place a strong emphasis on safety, teamwork, effective communication, and resilience, fostering aspiring entrepreneurs and inquisitive investigators within the realm of physical education.
- Beyond National Curriculum: Our Physical Education intent surpasses the standard program of study, aiming for broader, more impactful objectives.
- Excellence and Representation: Encourage pupils to shine in PE, with alumni and current students representing their school and wider community.
- Lifelong Passion for Sport: Foster a lifelong love for sports and physical activities, leading to improved health, social experiences, and friendships.
- Diverse Activity Engagement: Motivate pupils to try various activities, helping them discover their passions in sports and physical activities.
- Safety Awareness: Focus on essential safety skills like swimming proficiency and cycling safety.
- Communication and Teamwork: Develop pupils' ability to communicate and collaborate effectively, enhancing relationships and self-expression.
- Inclusive and Adaptive Planning: Implement a 'no ceiling' approach to cater to all pupils, including those with SEND and the most able, ensuring comprehensive inclusivity.
- Whole Child Development: Use PE to support pupils' overall development, especially those who may struggle in other areas, and to enhance concentration and understanding across the curriculum.
- Broad and Balanced Curriculum: Offer a wide-ranging curriculum that includes regular curriculum lessons, daily physical activities, and community sports.
- Physical and Mental Growth: Utilise PE to support physical development and mental health, recognising its significant impact on children's lives.
- Involvement and Resilience: Provide both competitive and non-competitive physical activities to instil a lifelong love of sports and facilitate meaningful competition.
- Responsibility and Relationships: Promote fair play, empathy, and leadership through sports, teaching pupils to identify and manage risks.
- Diversity and Cultural Capital: Ensure inclusivity in all aspects of PE and sports, aiming for pupils to leave with a deep understanding of maintaining a healthy lifestyle and a sustained love for sports.
Implementation: Backed by CSE's strategic planning and in-house training, our curriculum offers an expansive range of activities. This ensures a seamless progression from EYFS to Year 6, accommodating different abilities through flexible planning and resource allocation.
- Partnership with CSE: Mount Stewart's PE provision is enhanced through collaboration with Challenge Sport & Education (CSE), ensuring consistent delivery of high-quality PE lessons.
- Tailored Lessons: Each PE session is customised to meet individual student needs, aligning with Mount Stewart's curriculum principles.
- Specialist Support: Working with CSE aids in developing children's skills and confidence while bolstering staff expertise in PE.
- Holistic Education: Lessons incorporate elements of human anatomy and emphasise the importance of a healthy lifestyle.
- Balanced Teaching Approach: A combination of teacher-led and specialist-led instruction benefits all students.
- Comprehensive Planning: Planning is adapted to cater to the diverse needs of our pupils, offering a wide array of physical activities and sports.
- Local and Competitive Events: The long-term plan includes pathways to local events and incorporates competitive elements in all work units.
- Adaptive Lessons: PE sessions are adjusted to suit pupil needs, with additional resources for supporting or challenging students as required.
- Staff Development: Teachers receive ongoing in-house training, supplemented by the PE and Sport Premium, to enhance their subject knowledge.
- Detailed Long-Term Plans: Extensive long-term plans for each PE area, outlining skills, key vocabulary, and showing clear progression from EYFS to Year 6.
Inclusivity and Support: Our lessons are conscientiously designed to be inclusive and equitable. They emphasise fair play, empathy, leadership skills, and a healthy competitive spirit. This inclusivity aids in the social skill development of every student, ensuring that no one is left behind.
Impact: The impact of our PE program is continuously evaluated through a variety of assessment methods. These include self-assessment, opportunities for healthy competition, and regular feedback. These assessment strategies are instrumental in the ongoing enhancement of our PE curriculum, ensuring it remains dynamic and responsive to the needs of our students.
- Competitive Opportunities: Pupils regularly engage in competitive activities in each unit, mirroring assessment methods used in other curriculum areas. This not only assesses their physical capabilities but also nurtures their social and emotional skills.
- Self-Assessment: Encouraging pupils to assess their own abilities, fostering a sense of responsibility and self-awareness.
- Assessment for Learning: Regularly integrated into PE lessons, this approach supports inquisitive investigators and aspiring entrepreneurs in their educational journey.
- Pupil Feedback: The PE Subject Leader actively seeks pupil input through surveys and discussions, ensuring their voices contribute to shaping the PE experience.
- Regular Planning Reviews: Periodic evaluation of the planning process is conducted to ensure alignment with the curriculum's intent and to provide rich experiences.
- Continuous Improvement: Following a PE and School Sports audit, areas for improvement have been identified. The school intends to utilise the Sports Premium funding from the Department for Education (DfE) for enhancements, detailed on the PE and Sport Premium Page.
These strategies collectively contribute to the holistic development of pupils, aligning with the 7R’s learning behaviours and fostering their growth as creative collaborators and informed citizens in our world.
When students leave Mount Stewart, they will have:
- Comprehensive PE Skills and Health Awareness: Mastered a wide range of physical skills and developed a deep understanding of the importance of physical health, fitness, and nutrition.
- Enhanced Teamwork and Social Abilities: Gained strong social and communication skills, learned the value of teamwork, and demonstrated sportsmanship in various settings.
- Leadership and Entrepreneurial Qualities: Emerged as confident leaders and innovators, applying the skills and resilience learned in PE to broader life scenarios.
- Rich and Diverse Physical Education Experiences: Experienced a broad spectrum of physical activities, fostering a lifelong appreciation for fitness and well-being, and an understanding of their role in a global community.