• We aim to enable our pupils to read confidently, fluently, accurately and with understanding.
• We aim to employ a full range of reading cues - phonic, graphic, syntactic, contextual - to monitor, correct and make sense of their own reading.
• We aim to foster an interest in words and their meanings and to gain an appreciation of books from a variety of genres.
• We aim to enable the children to find books interesting, to read with enjoyment and to evaluate and justify their preferences.
• We aim to develop a suitable technical vocabulary through which to understand and discuss their reading.
• We aim to develop reading skills in tandem with those of writing, so that they may function in society, as literate adults and readers for life.
• We aim to create reading opportunities across all areas of the curriculum, to make it more meaningful and relevant to the children.