• We aim to enable our pupils to read confidently, fluently, accurately and with understanding.
• We aim to employ a full range of reading cues - phonic, graphic, syntactic, contextual - to monitor, correct and make sense of their own reading.
• We aim to foster an interest in words and their meanings and to gain an appreciation of books from a variety of genres.
• We aim to enable the children to find books interesting, to read with enjoyment and to evaluate and justify their preferences.
• We aim to develop a suitable technical vocabulary through which to understand and discuss their reading.
• We aim to develop reading skills in tandem with those of writing, so that they may function in society, as literate adults and readers for life.
• We aim to create reading opportunities across all areas of the curriculum, to make it more meaningful and relevant to the children.
The aim of our enlivening reading lessons is to expose pupils to a range of texts, including ones that they can identify with which are culturally diverse. Pupils are introduced to texts through the exploration of targeted vocabulary. Through further text exploration, we focus is on the key reading strategies: inferring, predicting, summarising, evaluating, making links/connections and questioning which support comprehension skills.