• We aim to enable our pupils to read confidently, fluently, accurately and with understanding.
• We aim to employ a full range of reading cues - phonic, graphic, syntactic, contextual - to monitor, correct and make sense of their own reading.
• We aim to foster an interest in words and their meanings and to gain an appreciation of books from a variety of genres.
• We aim to enable the children to find books interesting, to read with enjoyment and to evaluate and justify their preferences.
• We aim to develop a suitable technical vocabulary through which to understand and discuss their reading.
• We aim to develop reading skills in tandem with those of writing, so that they may function in society, as literate adults and readers for life.
• We aim to create reading opportunities across all areas of the curriculum, to make it more meaningful and relevant to the children.
Phonics and Reading Schemes
Oxford Reading Tree
We have a wide range of high quality books available to the children for both structured reading and free reading in class. The main reading scheme we use is Oxford Reading Tree, we have recently invested in a wider range of the scheme to include more challenging books as well as a wider range of fiction and non-fiction text types. This scheme is used throughout school, starting in Upper Foundation going right up to Year 6.
Nusery access the reading scheme with picture only texts so children learn how stories are sequenced in books and retell stories through the pictures.
The children take part in guided reading activities daily, we combines small-group reading interventions and both supported and independent follow-up activities, including questions about the book and role play activities. This allows children to be taught in a way that is intended to be more focused on their specific needs, accelerating their progress.
Letters and Sounds- Phonics
In school we teach phonics using the 'Letters and Sounds' phonics scheme, this scheme aims to teach children the phonic skills and knowledge to develop their speaking, listening and reading skills enabling them to become fluent readers.