Year 3 visit Cuffley Camp is a familiar location for camping and outdoor activiites. The centre has been operating in outdoor education for over 70 years. Bushcraft at Cuffley Camp is located in the south-east of Hertfordshire, just 15 minutes from the M25.
With The Bushcraft Company, students become immersed in the natural world and leave with a real appreciation for and understanding of it. Whether they are cooking river trout over an open fire, building shelters to sleep in, or learning how to navigate through dense woodland, our outdoor adventures are as real as you can get.
What are the benefits of attending?
- Outdoor Learning often involves collaborative learning experiences with physical and emotional challenge. Practical problem-solving and self-reflection is also evident.
- Educational research consistently shows positive benefits on academic learning. On average, pupils who participate in adventure learning interventions make approximately four additional months’ progress. There is also evidence of an impact on non-cognitive outcomes such as self-confidence, independence and resilience, all skills needed to enable children to reach their full potential and in many cases excel beyond (Educational Endowment Foundation).
What’s it all about?
- It’s about having fun while taking part in all sorts of adventurous activities that are both exciting and educational. Children will learn and develop new skills, shining as an individual and also as part of a team.
- For some children this may be their first experience of staying away from home without you.
School and Bushcraft staff (minimum 1:10 ratio) will be on hand throughout to encourage, reassure and help, so that your child returns home even more confident and independent with a real sense of achievement.
- Welcome to The Bushcraft Company, the ultimate antidote to the creeping epidemic of cotton-wool kids. This is outdoor education in its most literal sense, where the learning curve is steeper than the north face of the Eiger.
- THANK YOU BUSHCRAFT!! We do heaps of enriching activities at Bromsgrove, but Bushcraft has been one of the most exciting things ever for the children in the Junior Department. I am thrilled that it went so well. Well done to you and your staff for providing such an unusual and thrilling experience. It was quite a risk for us to do this with such young children but any worries were totally unfounded. Year 4 loved it - brilliant!
- The food - WE LOVE IT!! Venison, rabbit, salmon - all fascinating. Varied and exciting, a sense of foraging, the kids loved experimenting.
Latymer Upper School